Saturday 20 February 2010

Comedy

I'm sat here on a Saturday night just relaxing really, the family went to Lincoln on Friday morning and I've had the house to myself ever since and will have until the morning when they return.

But now the updates out of the way time to focus on the title of the blog.
Comedy isn't in it's greatest state right now, its struggling to keep up with the times. Loads of comedians are doing tours and some very successful tours I might add but 90% of comedians are doing the same stuff. Observational comedy. Why? Because in my eyes, its easy. Picking at a subject and mocking it into submission. Yes comedians add their own personal touch to it and make it sound about themselves, because that way its funnier. I recently saw a comedian called Tim Vine. Some people may know him from his appearance on Live at the Apollo quite recently where he got a 7 minute slot to show what he's all about. When in fact he does an hour of basically funny, silly, jokey and witty one liners. It's all quite foolish but he does it with such charm. Some people think what he does is tacky and immature and well it is a little but I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it. He is extremely different to such acts as Russell Howard, Peter Kay, Al Murray, Mark Watson and Frankie Boyle. All who in actual fact are different in themselves. Just as a point of record. Frankie Boyle is fucking awful. Scotland, Drugs, Drink and Sex. Don't buy his DVD as I've just done it for you with 5 words.
But comedy is actually becoming a dying art. There used to be comedy double acts that would cover mainstream television such as Cannon and Ball and Morecambe and Wise. But now we have 30 mainstream comedians doing the same thing. This isn't to say I don't enjoy their material and that I don't adopt it in my own material but I miss the slapstick, basic observational stuff that was so prominent back a lifetime ago.

Since I've left YouTube I actually think I've become funnier in my approach to the world. I think the way I talk and the thing I come out with are funnier than a few months ago. Maybe because I've been able to not feel pressured into coming up with material, who knows? But I just think I'm a funnier person.

Right now, life is ok :)

x

No comments: